Q How can I stay on top of all my child’s online use?
I don’t normally read Family Circle..really. But I did see an article that caught my eye. I noticed a graphic showing what young girls posts that they do not want their parents to see. The over use of social media is threatening our youths self image, their spiritual life, and their ability of experiencing real life and conversation outside posting and texting.
Real life is from our relationship with God and Christ through our spirit in prayer and mediation. Real life is meal conversation without a phone. Reality is not found by posting, tweeting, or friending.
Challenge your family to have a balance between Bible and Prayer vs online presence.
Psalms 1:1-3 Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers. But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night. They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season. Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do.
Q. What can I do?
- Keep an open conversation about what is appropriate online.
- Share spiritual truths. Pray with them.
- Get them involved in church youth groups.
- Decide how much social media time is enough.
- Discuss what you post has infinite consequences
- Make it a condition of online access that you have their password.
- Log on once in a while to check on them.
- Discuss texting can have LEGAL Consequences
- and of course if needed…Take away their phone.