Ezra 9:8 …”That our God may enlighten our eyes and give us a measure of revival in our bondage.
In my daily devotions, I came across this verse, and it would not let me go. “Give us a measure of revival in our bondage.” This passage is found in Ezra, where God has directed King Artaxerxes to allow some of the captive Jews to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the temple of God.
Israel had been taken captive by enemy kings because of their failure to stay faithful to God. Israel was in bondage in a foreign kingdom and away from God’s blessings. But a change is beginning to take place. Now Israel is allowed to return to Jerusalem with a repentant heart. God has shown them mercy and His blessing so that in their bondage, revival could break out.
2020 – The year of bondage.
This year has been like no other in our memories: a world pandemic virus, great hatred in politics, and the cities. Sexual perversions and destruction of the Biblical family have attacked our schools and even churches—rebellion toward authorities. Financial challenges are pressing in on cities, businesses, and families. This year is a year of bondage like no other in my life.
Two things must happen for revival to break out in our bondage.
- God must enlighten our eyes. God must make clear the eyes of our heart and understanding of the path toward sin our nation has traveled. 2 Chronicles 7:14 “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
- Are there areas in your life that needs repentance?
- Pastor, do you preach a message of holiness and repentance?
- Are you praying for our nation to return to God?
- God must send the revival. It is the work of the Holy Spirit. Man cannot create revivals. We can seek and pray for revivals, but only God can send His presence into a place or nation to bring about sincere repentance. I was a part of the Brownsville Revival in 1995 to 2000. God brought revival into that sanctuary on Father’s day. An outpouring of God’s presence caused thousands to travel and experience a true revival of His presence. This revival changed my life forever.
- Seek God for revival.
- Return to daily devotions and prayer.
- Love the Lord you God with all your heart.
As followers of Christ, we must again look to God and ask for a revival in our bondage. We must ask God to enlighten our eyes as we repent of the sins of our nation.
Revival in our bondage
I believe God will send us His presence. I believe this nation built with faith and guidance from God will once again see His glory bring about a great revival. This verse in Ezra encourages me. Take the time to read the rest of this chapter that starts with (verse 9) “For we were slaves, Yet our God did not forsake us in our bondage…” (click here to read)
Allow your lightnside to seek God’s favor on America and a measure of revival in our bondage.