Praise the Lord , my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord , my soul, and
forget not all his benefits
who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagles.
Psalm 103:1-5 NIV
We all are looking for benefits.
Benefits of eating right. Benefits of a good marriage. Benefits of health, freedom, learning, and loving. However the benefits listed in the first few verses in this chapter are blessings we cannot achieve on our own.
The benefits of believing and following God.
- Forgives all your sins – and the effects of those sins on our life.
- Heals all our diseases – God is the healer. Even in the hospital – God heals.
- Redeems your life from the pit. From lost and hopeless to firm ground.
- Crowns your life with love and compassion. God makes us smile inside.
- Satisfies our desires with good things.
- A youthful spirit renewed like the soaring of an eagle…at any age.
No wonder David starts and ends this psalm with “Praise the Lord, Oh my soul“.